Welcome to the Twin Springs Historical Society!!
These photographs are all from the late 1800's to the very early 1900's. They are all on display inside the main bar at Twin Springs, Idaho. Also on display are a full compliment of mining implements and relics from over 100 years of settlement and life in the back country of the Idaho mountains. Please feel free to inquire at the bar about the history of this beautiful land and when you've finished this short history primer, check out the story about the Last Chance Grocery , a tale of life in the old days as told by a former resident who lived along the Middle Fork of the Boise River in Twin Springs!
This is a where mining operations took place in what became known as the "Glory Hole" It was basically a huge hole dug into the side of the mountain in an effort to get to the gold deposits that were known throughout the area. It's name came from the immense amounts of gold taken out of it.You can still hike up to this spot today and see the hole and the efforts which the miners went through to get at the precious metal that drove the area economy until the mid 1900's.
Here we can see the hole today after nature has reclaimed the work of man. The hole remains but gold is gone!
Here we see a party of loggers from one of the many logging operations that existed in these rugged Central Idaho mountains. These men worked with manual tools in a hard environment and rarely knew the comforts of city life. Yet, most of these men would have it no other way and often migrated from logging camp to logging camp throughout the Northwest.
This is the original cabin/store in Twin Springs. Over the years it served as a store, school, lodging, kitchen, and home for many generations. It was been expanded several times during it's lifetime and as can been seen from this photo and the one below, and the basis of the building still stands today. It served all of these functions for years while the road and civilization moved around it to accomodate, ceding to the pace of life in Twin Springs.
This shot shows how the road migrated just as the miners and loggers who used it migrated up and down the river.
This is a view from above the town from the top of a nearby mountain. Here we can see the river's course, which has not changed significantly since this photo was taken. Most of the buildings are no longer here.
This is a view of the sluice line that was built by the miners to carry water to the mines. It functioned as a giant wooden aquaduct. There were miles and miles of these sluices and they came at a very expensive cost. However, the price was offset by the fact that at the time the entire Central Idaho mountain region was the main gold producer in the US.
Take a hike up to the meadows above Twin Springs and you can still find the remains of this sluice line, the wooden timbers still in place. Often large spikes that were used to nail the wood together can be found lying on the ground around the line. These spikes were very heavy iron and a lot of manual labor was used to make these sluices and move massive quantities of water. It was an incredible effort, all to get to the gold under the mountain.